BAHG

The 8ft x 8ft Wind Tunnel

BAHG


 

 

The 8ft X 8ft Wind Tunnel


Authority to proceed with the construction of the 8x8 Tunnel was given in 1949 and it achieved its first run in 1955. Capable of operation at subsonic speeds and at supersonic speeds from a Mach number of 1.3 to 2.5, the air was driven by a 12-foot diameter, ten-stage axial compressor powered from an 80,000hp [60 Megawatts] electrical source.

The advanced aerodynamic capability and quality of the tunnel was such that it was extensively used over a period of forty-six years and served many overseas customers, both military and civil, as well as meeting the British need. Finally surplus to requirements in 2002, its 10,000 tons of steel have hopefully been usefully recycled.
 

The 8ft x 8ft Tunnel, May 1955

 

   
The Main Drive Compressor





 

 

 

 

This page last updated - 18/06/2013

The Group welcomes the support of former employees and anyone else who has interest
 

Web design by FBM